Howdy Folks – I took a stab at making my own kombucha – I’m sick and tired of spending my hard earned money for a 4 dollar bottle of kombucha at the grocery store. I heard from the grapevine that it’s super cheap and easy to make. (preface: I’m going to make this as easy as possible for you).
What You Need
- 1 Gallon Glass Jar (got mine at Crate & Barrel outlet online)
- 6 Glass Bottles (go to a beer brewing store for these)
- 1 Gallon Pot
- Funnels (I got mine at the 99 cents store)
- Tea (green or black)
- Regular Sugar (NO honey, agave, sugar alternatives)
- Cranberry juice
- Paper towel
- 1 Scoby (ask a friend who brews their own kombucha for one, buy one online) – that’s the most complicated thing to get!
- Brew 1 gallon of tea with 4 tea bags and 1 cup of sugar
- Let the sweet tea cool down – usually takes 2 hours
- Transfer the tea into the sterile glass jar
- Pour the scoby in the tea
- Cover with a paper towel and rubberband
- Wait a week
- After a week – the tea will have a slightly vinegary smell and it has lightened in color…
- Take the scoby out
- You can drink the tea now – OR go on to double ferment it (like GT’s Synergy kombucha)
- Pour 2 oz of cranberry juice into the individual bottles
- Top off with the sweet tea
- Wait 3 days
- Then put in the fridge
BAM! You got kombucha!
2 thoughts on “How to Make Kombucha [The Easy Way]”
I can’t wait to try this! So much better than spending $4 per bottle! Thanks for the great recipe! Love the blog!